Located in Washington Square West (roughly defined as 7th – Broad Streets and Chestnut and South Streets, The Lenox is one of the most elegant multi-unit buildings in the neighborhood. Built in 1916 in the Colonial Revival style by architects Charles W. Clinton and William H. Russell, The Lenox has beautifully preserved details from its front facade and lobby to its wood floors, moldings and fireplace surrounds in the residences themselves. This building began converting to condos in 2004 at which point kitchens and bathrooms were remodeled.
Units range from studios to three bedrooms. Most have exceptional closet space for a building of this vintage. Many have excellent natural light thanks to the bay windows that are so much a part of the facade.
The Lenox has a doorman who presides over a lovely old-world lobby. There are a few parking spaces with the building, but most residents who need a space can rent at a discount at a nearby lot. On-site storage and bicycle storage are provided for residents.
Likely due to the age of the building, none of the units have central air, though window units do the job. Similarly, units do not have washers and dryers, though there is a laundry room in the building.
The neighborhood is fun – it’s so well located for access to the Gayborhood, Avenue of the Arts, Old City and Washington Square. There are plenty of excellent restaurants nearby. For those who love being in a historical building but feel priced out of Rittenhouse Square or Society Hill, The Lenox is one to consider.
For additional information on The Lenox, contact agent Tom Smitley in our Philadelphia office. Tom is a long-time owner in the building and has sold and/or rented dozens of units there.